Llandaff Cathedral Chorister Open Days
Saturdays 21st and 28th January
The Chorister Experience Day is a brand-new event for girls and boys and gives them a taste for what it is to be a chorister in Llandaff Cathedral Choir. There will be the chance to meet and sing with the current choristers and perform a service with them. The day will also include rehearsals and workshops with the Cathedral’s professional music team, an opportunity to explore the Cathedral building and find out about its history and even to play the Cathedral organ. At the end of the day everyone will be able to take home the memory of a fantastic day of music making and a small memento which will be made in a craft activity. There will be separate things for Parents and Guardians to do so no one will be bored!
The choir is at the heart of the daily life of Llandaff Cathedral. Choristers rehearse each morning before school. They alternate singing Evensong during the week, share the services at weekends, and take part in special services at Easter and Christmas. Being a chorister is a brilliant opportunity and one of the best starts in life a child can have. The skills it teaches last a lifetime and equip children for many different careers. Some of these benefits include…
- A musical education like no other with professional music staff.
- The opportunity to work with peers and adults to a high level, making new and lasting friends across school year groups.
- Development of important life skills: time keeping, confidence and self-discipline.
- The chance to be part of a musical tradition in Llandaff that stretches back centuries and includes some of the most wonderful choral music ever written.
- Opportunities to take part in concerts, recordings, domestic and foreign tours.
- Some reduction on fees at the Cathedral School.
As if this weren’t enough, over the last two years choristers in Llandaff Cathedral Choir have:
- Sung on television and Radio several times including Songs of Praise on Easter Day 2021 and Christmas Day 2022.
- Performed in a service attended by HM The King and Queen Consort which was broadcast worldwide.
- Reached the final of the BBC Young Chorister of the Year competition.
- Recorded CDs on a professional label.
- Performed major choral works with professional orchestras and in concerts to hundreds of people.
Potential choristers don’t need to have any prior musical training to be a chorister; just a love of singing. Why not come along to find out what it’s all about?
To find out more or to book a place, please scan the QR codes or email the Director of Music
029 2056 4554
You can find out about the choir by visiting our website, Facebook or Twitter pages