“Lord you have been our refuge throughout all generations”
There has been a Christian presence on this site from the time of Saint Teilo in the sixth century, and this is shown by the early Christian pillar-cross in the south aisle and grave markers reset into the fabric.
The present building dates from the Norman period, around 1120 under Urban, bishop from 1107 to 1134, a Welshman, and was extended in the early thirteenth century, with further additions and modifications in the later Middle Ages.
The Cathedral has undergone three major upheavals and restorations. In the eighteenth century, when the nave was roofless, the architect, John Wood of Bath, built a ‘temple’ style church in the choir and part of the nave.
Wood’s building was swept away in the Victorian restoration which commenced in the 1840s, under John Prichard and John Pollard Seddon, culminating with the south-west tower in 1867-69.
The devastation of the Cathedral on 2 January 1941 caused by the explosion of a German landmine outside the south aisle was addressed in the 1950s under the architect, George Pace, with a repaired and refurbished Cathedral and the addition of the St David, or Welch Regiment, Chapel.