The Parish Choir is a mixed, voluntary choir who sing principally at the 9.00am Parish Eucharist every Sunday morning and the occasional special services throughout the year. They are trained and led by the Parish Organist, David Thomas. The choir has an important role to play in the collective worship of the Cathedral Community.
Both boys and girls from the age of seven are accepted; adults who have a reasonable singing voice and can read music are also most welcome.
The Choir is constantly looking for Boys and Girls who are enthusiastic, who would enjoy singing with others and are committed. As soon as they can read English, they can join the choir. They will be taught how and what to sing, and do not need to know how to read music before they join.
What Do Choristers Gain In The Choir?
- A free, first-class musical training which will help them improve concentration and self-confidence.
- A heightened awareness of team-work, commitment and self-discipline.
- Gaining leadership and responsibility skills.
- Social interaction with others who have a common goal.
- Grounding in the importance of attention to detail and aiming for a high standard of performing in front of others.
- The unique and privileged opportunity of singing to a high standard in the most important Cathedral in Wales.
- Playing a leading part in services of the worshipping community in Llandaff.
What Kind Of Commitment Does It Entail?
The Full Choir sings at the 9.00am Parish Eucharist every Sunday, except during school holidays. Rehearsals take place for the choristers every Monday evening in term time from 6.30 to 7.30pm, with the adults rehearsing one Friday evening each month from 7.00 to 8.00pm. There is also a short rehearsal at 8.30am on Sunday mornings just before the service. In addition, the Choir sings to large congregations on many important occasions during the church year, including Christmas and Easter.
Choir robes (cassocks, surplices and ruffs) are provided by the Cathedral. Potential choristers are most welcome to come along to a Monday practice to see if they would like to join before making any commitment.
For more information please contact the Parish Organist, David Thomas, via the Cathedral Office email@example.com